Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Wine Skhool is so Kewl...


I would actually PAY to take these classes. That says a lot cause I am cheapy cheaperson... The class was nearly full--I would estimate there were about 40-45 people in the room (inside the Deltaking). I sat with four other people, one is a local food blogger and is pretty knowledgeable--probably the same as me or a little more... and the other three people came together and I would say they didn't know a whole lot, but were thirsty for more. The median age of the people in the room was about 45-50. But I didn't feel like I was young or that I stood out or anything. It was just a good time for me. I tasted eight wines and probably only drank about a half of a glass (through the magic of the spit cup). It was at the end where I actually drank the Merlot I had left. I used the cup religiously because I was afraid I would be tanked by the end of class if I drank each of the pours. We tried two whites, two rosés, and four reds. I knew a lot of what was covered, but then I also learned a lot. The only downfall is that the classes are on Tuesday and the last optional class is $85. I want to do it but I don't. It's a dinner thing. Arg. It's a FOUR COURSE/EIGHT WINE dinner. Oh the humanity. It's totally not the money. I don't know if I would be comfortable is all. Oh well, I will think about that later. Right now it's late and I should get to bed!
Here's some snaps of the wine and the food. And the notorious spit cup.




dinner fit for the cakegrrl!



...don't drink from the dixie cup!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you had fun! Elise said she had an awesome time meeting you!

cakegrrl said...

That was very sweet to say. I thought she was very knowledgeable. It was cool that someone else in the room knew the fifth sense of taste!

Elise said...

Can you say UMAMI?

;-)

cakegrrl said...

Very good!! ..and I guess "fat" is the newest sense... unfortunately I love em all...

I felt like a nerd in class the other night.

Did you hear that one guy across from us beating himself up because he couldn't smell the essense of "cat _____" in the wine? Too funny... .