Friday, April 13, 2007

Grapefruit!!

This magazine job has definitely had its perks. Sunday I get to go and pick all the grapefruit I can eat from my publisher's grapefruit tree. Wheee....


I used to really detest fruit as a kid, and the only way I would eat any was in jelly (seedless!!), in Pop-tarts, or in fruit roll ups...Occasionally I could be persuaded to eat a banana or some grapes... and sometimes even an apple. I used to be allergic to strawberries, but this has passed as I have gotten older. (Thank heavens!)


Growing up I never liked pies or tarts (save for the aformentioned Pop-tarts or the more sophisticated Toaster Strudel [ha]), brown betties, buckles or crumbles... I am not sure what was the root of my fickleness, or what happened to make me decide to start trying as many new things as possible. Whatever it was, I am glad it happened. I am amazed at how many things (especially fruit and vegetables) that I love now, that I would not touch as a kid (or had never even heard of).


This might sound crazy to some, but I never knew the deliciousness of pomegranate, persimmons, asian pear, pumelo, champagne grapes, hass avocado, quince, blood orange, lychee, taro, home-brined olives, tomatillos, or jicama (and I am SURE I am leaving many things out) until I moved here, or at least until I first vacationed here in 2003. That picky midwestern kid lived a sad, corn syrup-soaked life...


I think if I 1. had access to most of these items in the midwest when I was younger, or 2. had been introduced to these items not as good for me, but just as yummy food, then it would have not taken me so long to catch on!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you've been quite a journey!
By the by I live in Sac now, so we must hang out more and eat more fruit together!

cakegrrl2007 said...

So when is the housewarming party? I smell cupcaaaakes... ;)