Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Pineapple Coco-Banana-Nut Whoopie Pie





Pineapple Coco-Banana-Nut Whoopie Pie



This whoopie pie was created for my submission/participation in the Taste of Yellow event, on the blog, Winos and Foodies.





The Pineapple Coco-Banana-Nut Whoopie Pie


From time to time I love using a mix, especially Duncan Hines, as goods baked with them are the most consistent and flavorful, and have been recommended by Wilton and Alton Brown for cakemaking.

So when I needed a cookie that was almost like I cake, and I wanted to make it for this evening's choir party (birthday celebrations for the month of May), I came up with this idea.

I wanted to make another type of whoopie pie, as they are experiencing a popularity on the west coast now (they have always been an east coast treat). Then, I decided that as a pie, the creation is a monstrosity and too over the top for an event where I know some people will bring in cookies from Raley's because they are pressed for time. Nothing wrong with that, I mean, I used a mix...ha! So I decided to make the pies individual cookies.


Ingredients:

1 Box M*ist Deluxe Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix

1 Can (15 oz) Crushed Pineapple (drained of most the juice, reserve juice for later use).

1/2 stick Butter

1/3 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/8 tsp salt

3/4 cup white chocolate chips





Filling:

1/2 Jar Marshmallow Crème

1/2 stick Butter

1/2 cup pineapple juice

Juice from half an orange

Juice from half a lemon

1/2 Small Box of Banana Pudding (instant)

1/4 tsp coconut extract (optional, but really adds flavor!)

Pinch salt

1/2 lb powdered sugar


Topping:

1/2 a bag of Toasted Coconut

1 cup chopped Macadamias



Procedure:

Preheat oven to 365°.


Toast the coconut in a saucepan over low heat, constantly stirring and allowing to darken, but not burn. Remove from heat and set aside. Chop the macadamias small enough so that they can be used as a topping.



In mixer combine the butter, sugar, & eggs. Then combine the dry ingredients: mix, flour, baking soda, powder & salt in another bowl. Then add the fresh pineapple alternately with the dry ingredients. Mix slowly until combined but do not over mix.

Fold in the chocolate chips and drop by tablespoonfuls onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 min at 365.



While pies are baking....make the filling!

Combine the butter and the sugar, then add citrus juices. Add the marshmallow crème to the mixture and keep blending. Add the salt, then slowly add the 1/2 box of banana pudding. If you like, fold in the coconut extract.



Allow pies to cool. Place filling mixture in a pastry bag and either decorate the tops of the pies, or sandwich them together. Allow the filling to escape beyond the sides of the pie, and roll in the toasted coconut or the chopped macadamias. If you have made mini-pies, ice the tops of them and sprinkle the coconut and macadamias on top! Totally tropical...


the "mini-pies"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cakegrrl I've never had Whoopie Pie but it sure sounds delicious. Thank you for your support. I love the way you have used the ribbon in the photo.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! I have my stuff ready for my Taste of Yellow event, I just need to make it this weekend, or Friday and take pictures! It's a dessert too! :)