Wednesday, May 09, 2007

You. Must. Make. The Diet Coke Cake. Now...




Ingredients:

1 box Duncan Hines M*ist Deluxe or your favorite box of cake mix**

1 can of Diet Coke or your favorite diet fizzy beverage of choice**


Directions:

Preheat oven according to your cake mix package directions. Spray a 9 x 9 pan with cooking spray and coat with flour. Set aside. Empty mix into medium-sized bowl. Open can of soda and pour entire can of soda into the cake mix. Gently fold in with a big spoon or wide spatula until thoroughly mixed. Do not beat or over-mix. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake according to package directions. That's it. You now have delicious cake with no added calories from eggs or oil! This way, there are 1,920 calories in the entire pan, and only 30 grams of fat (3,480 calories and 180 grams of fat in the whole pan made the traditional way! Eek...). Each piece (of just cake) weighs in at about 213 calories and 3.33 grams of fat if you slice it into 9 servings. (A more decent sized piece than the suggested 12 servings on the box).


But of course, we need FROSTING!!

I know, I know. The world would be a better place with just a little more frosting. So, to top the naked cake, you can use Fat-Free Cool Whip (with just 20 calories per 2 Tbs) or Fat Free Frozen Yogurt (at about 100 calories per 1/2 cup) In this display, I made a little Cocoa Marshmallow Creme Topping.



Marshmallow Creme Topping



Ingredients:


3/4 Jar of Marshmallow Creme

2 Tbs Unsweetened Cocoa

1/4 Tsp Vanilla

Teeny bit of salt


Just mix ingredients all together and spread over the cooled cake. Dust cake with a little extra cocoa powder and store covered in the freezer.



The cake topping tastes similar to a Three Musketeers filling.
In the pic, I have topped the slice with a little sugar free chocolate syrup and a frozen raspberry. The marshmallow topping adds 78 calories per serving (if, once again, you slice the cake into nine pieces)...





**You can make the Diet Coke cake with any variation. Fun variations to try are lemon cake mix with lemon lime soda, strawberry cake mix with strawberry-kiwi soda, and vanilla cake mix with creme soda. In the cake I made, I used some of my shasta chocolate soda. A slice of heaven and I don't miss the oil one bit.

-cg

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

How interesting. I'm not a marshmeller fan much (unless it's smores, then I can do marshmallows!). I switched myself to diet drinks now if I drink pop. Mostly it's water here. I never thought of cola in a cake though! Weird!

cakegrrl said...

You can use cool whip on top if you want! :)
Or, there is a simple icing you can make with milk and powdered sugar, but there's a ton of calories there if you are trying to watch it.

I got this trick from my calorie king buddies a long time ago, but just now getting to making it and taking a (bad) pic for the blog! ;)

Jennifer said...

Awesome! Definitely watching the calories and all that. I have been sick so I have been actually eating close to nothing, and secretly hoping for a little bit of weight loss (I know, how bad is that?). Now that I'm feeling better I'm totally happy I can cook real food.

Mindy Moo said...

Hey no fair. We can't get half that stuff in Australia. We have to make from scratch,

cakegrrl2007 said...

Hey Minko! Nice to see an international reader who isn't shy about commenting. Would you like me to send you something sometime so you can try it? xoxo

beckyjsacto said...

OK, I have laughed my head off multiple times at your use of the asterisk in "m*ist" when saying which brand of cake mix you used. I HATE THAT WORD!!! Ewwww...it's just gross. Sac-eats just says, "Oooh, this is very 'm'" when referencing something that's m*ist. Do you have an aversion to it too?

Mindy Moo said...

Thanks cakegrrl2007. I am hoping to make to America later this year to see the wonderous cupcake-related and cake related things available.

No doubt I will be sending stuff back cause I will be over my limit of luggage.

Dying to get cupcake carrier

Anonymous said...

YUMMERS!!! can't wait to try it! thanks for the tip!
~JENN