Friday, November 23, 2007

This is How I Apple Pye on the Fly...

Apple Pye (1713)
by William King:

Of all the delicates which Britons try
To please the palate of delight the eye,
Of all the sev'ral kings of sumptuous fare,
There is none that can with apple pye compare.




Crust:
6 ounces (12 tablespoons) butter, chilled
3 ounce (4 tablespoons) lard, chilled
12 ounces (approximately 2 cups) all-purpose flour,
plus extra for rolling dough
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup ice water



The pie filling? Well, not like I measured anything because it was a bonus pie I made with stuff we had on hand. :) But to give you an idea: I used apples, maybe about 5 or 6. 4 granny smith, 1 fuji, 1 gala. Brown sugar, sour cream, a mix of spices: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, cardamom. Salt. Vanilla. Bourbon: Maker's Mark. Egg, a little whole wheat flour.

The apple pie that almost never was, but I am a sucker for a pretty face. Glad I made this because it was even better than the pumpkin pie I made the same day. :)

No comments: