Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Schoolhouse Cooks! Series




As many of you know, I am now enrolled at Le Cordon Bleu (formerly Kitchen Academy) Sacramento.

Still hopelessly on the job search, I decided to enroll in culinary school a few weeks ago. I was walking by the school on my way home from a meeting with someone at Panera Bread. I have been really trying to find work in the field in which I have worked for nearly 15 years: publishing, graphics, printing, or would also love to work in marketing or sales (have 3-5 years experience in each of these areas). There's just nothing out there right now that is biting back. I am a little scared because I am near the end of my bank account...

So, because I really didn't know what else to do, and cooking is about the only thing I can do right... I finally became a culinary student. I know how to make things taste good--I would say I am very talented in menu planning, wine pairing, recipe building, flavor profiling--I just feel I lack technical skills and real kitchen experience to go with it. If I ever want to go into business for myself, I want to have a stronger background and be more confident in the kitchen.



Ideally, even though I began classes this week, I will land a day job soon in marketing, sales, advertising, publishing, et cetera. I have been jobless since June, and my self worth has taken a real beating no matter how many times I tell myself not to take the job rejection personally. If a career miracle rolls my way, I plan on switching to night courses.

I like school so far. Most of my classmates are new to the culinary world altogether and are full of enthusiasm. I have two really nice tablemates at my station. My chef instructor has a lot of experience and great stories to tell.

I am trying to be more outgoing this time in school. I remember how shy I used to be in high school and in college before, and it really didn't serve me well.

So, I will be blogging about my experience in school...not everyday, but definitely every week.

We are working on the ServSafe courses this week--which I already passed in October, so there is less pressure for me there. I don't like the way my uniform is fitting...I need about 3 inches chopped off the length of the pants and the jacket looks ridiculously long on my freakishly short torso. Sigh. Oh well, I will work it out. On the plus side: I am happy with my toque/wig arrangement.

Tuesday, we learned to julianne, and today it was batons, and a dice cut. I need practice. :(

I am very envious of the pastry students that come in when our class leaves. But, I know I need to take the full curriculum to be more employable.

I usually don't get this stream of consciousness or personal in my writing anymore, but I am thinking that might be the turn this series takes, since it is indeed my personal journey through culinary school. Bear with me on that! :) OK, it's late. Cakegrrl out!

No comments: