Saturday, February 13, 2010

Really Loving Figamajigs...



At this year's Winter Fancy Food Show in SF, I picked up a few samples of a new-ish candy called "Figamajigs". They are candies made with dried fig and chocolate, available in bars and candy pieces.



One of the things I discovered when I came to California was that a "fig" was an actual fruit and not the gunk in the middle of a cookie. Silly me. I had never before seen a fresh fig on a tree or at the grocery store. I definitely got spoiled working at RH Phillips two summers ago when I was allowed to pick what I wanted from their trees. I always look forward to fig season, as short as it is, and in the off season, I buy dried figs and chop them up in salads for a special treat. I never cared for fig cookies, but after trying these candies, I am going to start buying them to aid in weightloss. I like the bar kind best (they are available as an M&M type candy as well). I have been having about 1/3 of a bar for dessert, and it is just enough. I almost wish the bars came in mini-bar size.




Figamajigs were created by Mel Lefer, after being advised by Dr. Dean Ornish to change his diet and lifestyle. He realized the health benefits of dark chocolate and figs, and that they are both superfoods. Ounce for ounce, figs contain more calcium than whole milk, more potassium than bananas, and more fiber than prunes. And besides being delicious, chocolate has more antioxidants than green tea or red wine. Figamajigs are still candy and should be eaten in moderation, but are a healthier choice, containing only 2 grams of fat per bar and five grams of fiber. They also only count for 2 points on the Weight Watchers program plan.

Here's the breakdown on the nutritionals for my favorite bar, the original:
40g, 1.41oz, Calories 130, Fat Cal. 25, Total Fat 2.5g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0g, Sodium 10mg, Total Carb 26g, Fiber 5g, Sugars 19g, Protein 1g, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%

I wish they had a little more protein and less sugar, but I love that they are gluten free, and contain no high fructose corn syrup.

Locally, I have found them at Whole Foods Market. You can also buy them online here. This is one candy I would love to receive for Valentine's Day.

No comments: