Friday, September 10, 2010

UPDATE: The Sweet Lew Burger Challenge at The Chef's Table



The burger in the photo above is called The Sweet Lew Burger and is the mammoth creation of the smiling chef behind it, Stephen "Sweet Lew" Lewis, one of the chefs at David Hill's The Chef's Table in Rocklin, California.

I met Stephen about a month ago when I became something of a regular at the restaurant. I heard about the Sweet Lew Burger and thought people might be interested in knowing a little more about its creator.


1. Please tell me a little about yourself and your culinary background:
I grew up in Auburn, CA. I used to make salsas and breads when I was younger, even wrote a small cookbook for the family for Christmas one year. After a couple years at community college and waiting tables that I wanted to go to Culinary school. I graduated from Western Culinary Institute in Portland OR in 2003. I did my externship with the Paragary’s restaurant group in Sacramento. I met the chef of Beermann’s in Lincoln and was hired on as the sous chef. I worked at Horseshoe Bar and Grill during this time as well, as the same owners ran it. Next, a couple years as sous chef/executive chef at Winchester Country Club in Meadow Vista. Until the beginning of this year I was the chef at Cheffery’s American Bistro in Sacramento. Now The Chef’s Table in Rocklin.

2. How did you meet Chef Hill?
Chef Hill was the Executive chef overseeing Beermann’s and The Horseshoe Bar and Grill. He had the final say in hiring me and the fun began.


3. What are your specialties?
I have been told that I am the best braising chef they have ever seen. My favorites are southwestern cuisine and seafood dishes. And you can’t forget the Sweet Lew burger.


4. What is the best meal you have ever had?
Bone-in Veal Ribeye with Bordelaise, potato gratin, spring vegetables from Le Belig in Auburn.


5. How/why did you come up with the Sweet Lew Burger?
A regular customer came in and wanted a burger. I asked what he wanted on it and he said he didn’t care…so there it was born. I started small but has kept growing, into a burger challenge.





6. Please explain the composition of the Sweet Lew Burger:
Two Painted Hills burgers
Buttermilk Fried chicken breast
Applewood smoked bacon
Heirloom Tomato
Lettuce or Slaw
Pesto fries
Fried egg
Cheddar Cheese
Chipotle cream
Mustard Aioli
Cheddar kaiser roll
Topped with a whole pickle





And now presenting THE SWEET LEW BURGER CHALLENGE!
Two Painted Hills burgers
Buttermilk Fried chicken breast
Applewood smoked bacon
Heirloom Tomato
Lettuce or Slaw
Pesto fries
Fried egg
Cheddar Cheese
Chipotle cream
Mustard Aioli
Cheddar kaiser roll
Topped with a whole pickle

Accompaniments:

An order of Bacon gravy Fries
A pint of beer or soda

If you finish the challenge under the current winner's time your meal is on the house.  If you fail it's going to cost you $40.





The Sweet Lew Burger Challenge Rules:
1) You must finish everything on the plate and in the glass.
2) You must have already been to the Chef's Table at least once before requesting the Sweet Lew Challenge.
3) You must have had a regular burger from the Chef's Table before requesting the Sweet Lew Challenge.
4) To request the Sweet Lew Challenge you must say... "Sweet Lew, put me in a coma."

As you can imagine, The Sweet Lew Burger now has a life of its own and you can find it by clicking here which should take you straight to the Sweet Lew Burger Fan Page. See the latest incarnation, hear what the community is saying and catch up on who won the latest challenge.

You can also follow The Chef's Table on twitter here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becarful what you say you just might get it!LOL put me in a coma would not be my choice for words,but what ever works for you. How about Sweet Lew buy me the biggest TUMS bottle you can find.....