Sunday, May 15, 2011

Poema Sparkling Wine & Sausage with Sauerkraut

I am having some of the most delicious meals ever without having processed grains, sugar, bread, gluten, or any of the other garbage that makes up most convenience/boxed food on grocery store shelves. 

Saturday's weigh in: 133 pounds. I am down 12.5 pounds since March 27th. I am happy with my progress, but just really want this weigh off. I am still working on trying to forgive myself for letting my weight get so out of control!! My goal is to look good in all the clothes I have in my closet from last summer, but to give you a number... I would love 115. I got down to 112 last summer and was a little too thin maybe.

BTW, I survived a dessert-themed birthday party on Friday night without having a single grain of sugar or even a sugar substitute (everyone around me munched on cookies, cakes, and lemon bars while I snuck in red and yellow bell peppers).

Then on Saturday, I attended Festa di Vino. Thank goodness for one of the vendors, Ambrosia... they had almonds and strawberries <3 <3 <3 that held me over a few hours. Tried a little cheese, but just a tiny slice, and I knew there would be a "treat" food I would want to have this weekend. I also knew I would have some wine, so I allowed for that on both Friday and Saturday. I probably had a bottle over both evenings. I allowed for that calorically, and won't drink again until next weekend. Calories per day are averaging about 1200-1300 and no more than 4 (alcoholic) drinks a week. I am working out 6 days a week, and average calorie burn per workout is about 400.

Anyway, last weekend, I shared this bottle of Poema Cava and a Sausage with Sauerkraut dinner with one of my close Cheffy friends. :) It was actually cooked for me, which was really nice. Lovely to have someone from a well-known restaurant be your personal chef for the evening. :)

First, a little about the wine:

Poema Logo

Cava is Spain's traditional method sparkling wine, produced mainly in the Penedès region in northeastern Spain. Crisp, fruity and well-balanced, Cava has grown in popularity in recent years and can be found throughout the U.S. market. 

Parellada, Macabeo, and Xarel-lo are the main grapes used in Cava which is crafted using the traditional method (the same process which is followed in Champagne). 

Cava is classified by the sugar content and length of aging. Ranging from driest to sweetest: Extra Brut, Brut, Extra Dry, Dry, Semi-Dry, and Sweet.

Poema is available in Brut and Extra-Dry, each made from a traditional blend of Macabeo, Xarel-lo and Parellada grapes grown in the Penedès valley.
Dry sparkling wine is probably my favorite wine because it is sipped in summer and in winter at parties, and at both casual and fancy occasions. It's a versatile wine that can also be used to make fun cocktails. And I just love those bubbles. The Poema was dry, crisp, and refreshing.

Thank you to Kobrand Wine and Spirits for the selection.

For dinner that evening, we had Sausage and Sauerkraut. What a great one-pot meal--very little clean up in the kitchen:


1 1/2  Onions (sliced)
2 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups sauerkraut
1 package Aidell's Cajun Style Andouille Sausage

Fry the bacon and render the fat. Then you will sauté the onions in the bacon fat until nicely cooked through. Slice the sausages on a bias. Add the sauerkraut and the sausage and cook 10-15 minutes to let the flavors come together and the sausages to heat through.

Remember kids, sugar is the enemy and fat is your friend!!

No comments: