Friday, November 25, 2011

What Ever Shall We Do with All This Turkey?

Hmm... first of all, if you have leftover food any day of the week, that's a first world problem to have, so congratulations, consider yourself lucky.

We had a few people over last night, but still have a ton leftover of the Diestel Organic Turkey I ordered from Whole Foods. We made a turkey last week (same size and variety from WF) before our Napa trip (which I will begin to tell you about in the next week), and I made the dish below with the leftover meat and one of my favorite vegetables, spaghetti squash. Freixenet sent me a sample of sparkling wine (pictured below) and it was a lovely pairing. 


Freixenet's Cordon Rosado Brut (Cava) is a great party kick-off wine. It plays nice with all those appetizers, light cheeses and fruit. This sparkling wine has full berry flavors, but crisp and dry. Sign me up. That's the way I like them. It also scored 87 points and a "best buy" rating in Wine Enthusiast Magazine. 

The grape varieties used in the creation of the base wine for this Cava are Trepat and Garnacha. It has a 12% alcohol content and is aged between 12 and 18 months.

The Freixenet Cordon Rosado retails for about $12 per bottle, so if you have a lot of parties to attend or some to host, you can get a case of this without taking out a loan. Want to find this wine? Click here to find Cordon Rosado Brut at a retailer near you. Also, they have a Facebook page here.

Oh right, I was supposed to tell you what you can make with turkey leftovers. Oops. Well, the dish I made was turkey in an onion, pine nut, and three-cheese sauce over spaghetti squash.


First, I threw a spaghetti squash in the oven about 45 mins before I began to prepare the rest of the meal. Then I toasted some pine nuts alongside the squash when it was nearly time to take it out. Be careful with pine nuts, they go from perfectly toasted to burnt very easily. Then I sautéed some onions in coconut oil, added some garlic, and then the turkey, which I had torn into bite-sized pieces. I made the cheese sauce from a blend of mozzarella, parmesan, and asiago cheeses. I melted them in a little chicken broth and some unsweetened coconut milk and then poured it over the turkey/onion sauté. Then I took the squash I baked and portioned it on the plate, and laid the turkey on the top. Then I grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (my favorite cheese EVERRR) to finish it off. OK, so that's four cheeses, but oh well, four times as good. Happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone!




No comments: