Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Paleo Recipe: "True Love" Blood Orange and Red Onion Salad with Kalamata Olives


I just love going to the farmer's market and buying whatever catches my eye. Last Sunday, it was blood oranges. Here's a quick salad that's completely Paleo using those that beautiful citrus I picked up!! This recipe serves 2 people as an appetizer or side dish.

Ingredients:
3 blood oranges, sliced widthwise
1 red onion, sliced into rings
10-12 Kalamata olives, sliced into rings
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (I used Gaea Laconia P.G.I.
kindly sent to me by the reps at Gaea.)

Procedure:
Peel the oranges and slice them widthwise so the slices will look like the picture above. Lay one layer of them out on a plate and then slice the onion into rings and lay them over/on the oranges. Then arrange another bit of oranges around the onions. As you are doing this, you can squeeze a little of the juice over the onions and the plate. Then chop the olives into little rings and sprinkle over the onions and orange slices. To finish, drizzle the olive oil over the salad.

So unique, but simple to prepare, and beautiful on the plate. I named the recipe "true love" because of the ring shapes in the salad (the symbol of eternity), and all that red/orange color in the mix.

It might sound like an odd combination, but I hope you try it. :) 
Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: