Friday, March 02, 2012

Cakegrrl's BevMo 5¢ Wine Sale Picks!!

 Last Wednesday night, I was a guest at the Arden Beverages and More (BevMo!) for a media event to help promote the 5¢ Wine Sale. This sale has become a reoccurring marketing tool in which BevMo! sells a particular wine for a certain price (for example $12.99) and the customer can purchase the second bottle of wine for 5¢.

This is the first sale of the year and it runs until March 18th. It will feature over 250 wines from labels such as Francis Ford Coppola, Kuleto Estate, and Chalone Vineyard. The bottles will range all over the board in price from as low as $7 to as high as $70 per 750mL bottle. So, if you are a high roller and buying by the case, that means you can get one case of wine at full price and the second case for only 60 cents. 

How did the 5 cent sale begin? Why don't you submit your own creative story? Head over to the BevMo! facebook page and tell them how you think the 5¢ Sale all began. On March 18th, BevMo will pick a winner, and that person will receive a $50 discount card.

Now for a little tasting and my favorites of the evening! I stand behind my picks and recommend them for you to try as well.


The first wine we sampled was the 2010 Arco Magiore Pinot Grigio ($14.99). It was one of my favorites, slightly apricot-ish/peachy, yet fairly dry. Great wine for summer or with a light fish dish.


The next one was a 2009 Silverado Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc (price not listed in my notes) from Napa. It was a total grapefruit bomb, so if that's your style, you would like this one (BF, are you listening?). It would be awesome with Thai food, sushi, or some other sort of seafood.



Oooh, well played BevMo!... getting interesting with a Torrontes. This is a 2011 Ceibo Torrontes ($19.99)--an Argentinian wine, and for me tastes like kind of a mix between Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay. The big difference (once again, for me) is that a Torrontes usually smells very floral/"perfumey" compared to a Chardonnay. When I say "perfumey", I mean it in a good way. ;) It's also crisp like a Pinot Grigio, so that is why I drew that comparison. Totally worth a try.



The next two wines are some I ended up choosing to take home with me. First is the 2010 Francis Ford Coppola Director's Chardonnay ($19.99). It is pretty true to a classic Napa Chardonnay: Green apple and light buttery oak. And I kind of (not so secretly) love that style of Chardonnay.


My next favorite wine was the 2009 Schug Pinot Noir. It's a great bargain at $24.99, and then when you get the 2nd bottle at five cents, it's a steal. And, I will let you in on a little secret: This wine tastes even better in my Riedel Pinot Noir glass. It's what I drank last night with dinner. :) It's light to medium bodied and has a lovely bouquet of strawberries and cherries.


Next up, a 2009 Trailhead Zinfandel ($24.99), which for me for the price was just ok, but if you chop it in half with the benefit of the 5¢ Sale, it becomes more than fair. Normally this would probably not be an optimal everyday drinker, but when you cut the price in half, it's totally a pizza wine!



Next on the list is a 2009 Ranch 32 Cabernet Sauvignon ($19.99). It’s a good little wine and scored 90 points with Wilfred Wong. It’s not overly tannic and pretty much a “drink it now” sort of wine. It’s probably not going to improve all that much with age, but hey... Have some fun and buy 2 with the 5¢ Sale, drink one now, and lay one down for later. ;)


I am not sure why we tasted this one last, because it was not really much on the sweet side. It was a Cava Brut Rose by Campo Viejo ($16.99). OK, after thinking about it a bit, maybe I do know why you would drink it last. Because it would be awesome with strawberries and a cheese plate!!


Snacks provided to us by BevMo! were a Picot Brie cheese, Jarlsberg (love) cheese, Carr's Biscuits, La Panzanella mini crackers, and Columbus Dry Salami.

You can find BevMo! on Facebook here and on twitter here. Long live the 5¢ Sale!

No comments: