Monday, May 14, 2007

Couch Potato Cookies


This post and recipe is a shout out to a blog that is currently on hiatus, TV Dinners. I have recently become pretty good friends with the writer of said blog, and I know I am not alone when I say I hope she decides to return to the blogging world very soon.


As I stated, her blog title is TV Dinners. Potato chips are notorious for being a snack food of which one accidentally plows through an entire bag while engrossed in their favorite television program.

...like crumbs in the lazyboy, these are the days of our lives...


Did I mention I like cookies, too? Well...why not put them together?
Yes, what better way to celebrate our friendship, than for me to reinvent a potato chip cookie recipe that is currently being buzzed about.


I heard about this cookie on the NPR food podcast, and then I became intrigued. I was curious to know how such a cookie might taste, so I looked up the recipe so I could prepare it. Then I kind of worked in some of my own ideas (I always do). First of all, more potato chips are needed in my opinion! I want to be able to TASTE potato chip, but not be overwhelmed by it. I also used brown sugar instead of white, and added some trail mix (a "health food" that is really, really NOT, and thus, raises the "couch potato factor" of the recipe), and some chocolate chips.


This one goes out to you, K!! xoxo


Couch Potato Cookies


Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup butter flavored shortening

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup white sugar

1 egg

1 egg yolk

1 tsp almond extract

1 cup flour

1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup crushed potato chips

1/2 cup trail mix*

1/2 cup chocolate chips


Procedure:

Preheat oven to 385°F. Cream butter, shortening, and sugars until light and creamy. Add the egg(s) while mixing, and then add the almond extract. Add in the flour and baking soda, stirring until just incorporated, and then fold in the crushed potato chips. Finish the mixture by pouring the trail mix and the chocolate chips into the dough and folding those in as well.

Drop cookie dough onto parchment lined baking sheets by tablespoonfuls. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they brown to your liking. Enjoy!




For those of you lucky enough to have quick access to this brand of chips, use these!


**Another idea I had while posting this, is to use Milk Duds or Reese's Pieces instead of the trail mix.

-cg

No comments: