Friday, June 29, 2007

Cherry Vanilla Tart


I just pulled this out of the oven. Baking makes me so happy.



Cherry Vanilla Tart Filling:

3 cups tart cherries

3/4 cups Splenda

1 1/2 Tbsp. flour

1/8 tsp salt or to taste

1/2 contents of 1 vanilla pod

2 tsp. vanilla vodka



Crust:

2 cups flour

4 Tbs sugar

1/2 tsp salt

8 ounces unsalted butter

...And enough ice water to bind it all together.



Milk or cream

Sugar in the Raw for decoration



Butter dollops



First of all, have fun pitting your cherries. I recommend doing it the night before. Then it only takes an hour to make the entire pie! Prepare your crust and roll out. You can make your tart into a full pie if you want, but I am going to make some pake later perhaps, (only instead of cranberries, I'll try with cherries and maybe add some chocolate) so I wanted to reserve half a crust. Prepare the vanilla by removing the beans and stirring them in the vanilla vodka. Mix all the filling ingredients in a large bowl (including the vanilla mixture), and spoon it into your crust... When I line the pan with the crust, I usually sprinkle some splenda and flour in the bottom just to catch any excess juices so the crust does not turn out soggy. After spooning in the filling, I crimped the crust all the way around and brushed the edges with milk. Then I sprinkled the edges with the cane sugar for decoration and a little extra texture. Lastly, I dotted the top of the tart with little bits of butter (this makes the pie super tasty and rich).
I placed the tart in the oven at 400 degrees for five minutes, then I turned the oven down to like 355 or so to finish. Maybe 30 minutes? Yum.




2 comments:

beckyjsacto said...

That looks SO GOOD. YUM.

cakegrrl2007 said...

Thank ya, 'lil lady. :) Hope you are back to feeling 100%.