Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tucos Wine Bar and Cafe

If you are ever in Davis, a cute little spot to try some wines and inventive small plates is Tuco's Wine Bar and Cafe.

I recently joined my friends for dinner and wine at Tuco's and here are some of the things you will find on the menu:


Marinated Olives fresh herbs, lemon, garlic. Emphasis on lemon/lemon zest in the dish.




The white bread was only so so, but the other bread selection: Acme Cranberry Walnut Levain Bread could almost be ordered as a dessert. This bread is served when you order from the cheese menu… and the cheese menu is a small trip around the world itself, with selections from California, Colorado, France, Holland, Italy, Portugal, and Spain.



The Red Discovery $10
Simonsig Pinotage 2003, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Monte Lomas Cabernet Sauvignon, 2004, Mendoza, Argentina
Nada Blanca Tempranillo 2005, Central Coast, CA
Marquis Phillips Shiraz 2006, South Eastern Australia

I liked the Simonsig Pinotage the best and ended up ordering a glass of it with my Dungeness Crab & Cheese Bruschetta hand-picked crab, aioli, fresh herbs, cheese, garlic toast: $12.
The Bruschetta is served with a red sauce that I would describe as cocktail-ish. Makes sense with the crab. It was very bad for my figure, but very good for my taste buds. ;)



Dungeness Crab & Cheese Bruschetta hand-picked crab, aioli, fresh herbs, cheese, garlic toast


I also tried the Carrot Gazpacho Soup (refreshing), and one of my friends had the Seared Ahi Tuna Nicoise hard-cooked egg, potato, seasonal veggies, with herbed citrus dressing. I can say the salad portion was very generous. Lots of egg, olives, and ahi there.

Two of my friends ordered the Cinnamon Crumb Bread Pudding with Ice Cream and were very pleased. I did not try it as I am allergic to sucrose/table sugar. Shame, isn't it?

The menu is fun and inventive, the owner has taken old favorites and put a fresh spin on them. This is a perfect place to go on a date, or with a few people, but not so much in a big group.

There is also a wine club you can join to receive 10% discount off retail prices on Club Tucos Packages. 15% discount on our events like wine parties or seminars. For more information go to Club Tucos.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oooh, girl, you went to Tucos and you did not call me?! ;)

I love that place, I used to go all the time in Davis, but now... *sigh* never.

Good pics, btw.