Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Food Finales!!!

Sorry for the lack of posting lately. It's been a rough couple weeks for little cakegrrl.

So today, I thought I would post some pics of some of the things my class made for our cooking final at school. To recap, I attend Le Cordon Bleu in Natomas.

For the final, our chef instructor asked us to incorporate one of the five mother sauces (bechamel, veloute, espagnole, hollandaise, tomato) into our dish. We had one day of prep (1.5 hours) and one day to finish (2 hours) The dishes below are what we served her:


I actually got to try this one. This pizza dish (of course) incorporates a tomato sauce. I really liked the crust. Some might say it was too thick, but I likey that way.















Hmmm... I do not see a sauce on this plate. Do you? :(




I wanted to try the sauce on this one, but I got stuck doing dishes for about an hour. Doh!!






Chicken soup with carmelized onions that my teammate Parris made from our veloute base.



Mise en place for the veloute we made.



The chicken galette we decided to make, before it went into the oven.



My team made a chicken galette (open pot pie) with a veloute sauce. We also used carrots, peas, potatoes, parsnips, onion, garlic, & tarragon.

I made the crust with rosemary infused butter. To do this, I heated the butter in a saucepot with the rosemary stems and then strained the rosemary out. Then I let the butter solidify again and chopped it up into little pieces and allowed it to chill in the freezer before I made the pastry. I guess I could have rolled the crust a little thinner, but I like thick crust. Oops. :)

Hoping to blog a little more in the next coming week. Merry Christmas to everyone out there!! xoxo

No comments: