Sunday, October 10, 2010

Make this Now, Thank Me Later! German Stirfry


Seriously, make this now. If you don't like sauerkraut, you might like this dish. If you don't eat bacon, all I can do is apologize.

German Stirfry

What you need:
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Red or White Wine
Red Onion
Sugar (optional)
Garlic
Acorn or Butternut Squash (cubed)
Eggplant, Zucchini Squash or Diced Potatoes
Apple, Granny Smith, Fuji, or Gala... any non-mushy apple will do.
Bacon (as many slices as you like—you can also use pork sausage in place of or in addition. I just use bacon because I also add cheese.
Sauerkraut
Cheese, any hard and semi-hard cheese will do. Some to try: Allgäuer Emmentaler, & Gouda. My favorites to use in this recipe are fontina and parmigiano reggiano (not German cheeses).

It's funny how our tastes change as adults. I used to HATE sauerkraut as a kid and refuse to eat it. I would go to the Waynesville Sauerkraut Festival with my mom every year, but refuse to sample any of the food there. Now I love sauerkraut, and it's one of my favorite foods. It is fibrous, low calorie, and filling. I might be getting married to it soon.

I came up with this recipe to honor my new found love, and I have been eating it several times a week. I call it German Stirfry because the recipe contains a few of German ingredients, and they are all cooked together basically like I do with a stirfry.

You can use eggplant or not, or potatoes or not, it all depends on what you like. I really prefer cooking to baking a lot of times, because most recipes are so flexible. This one is as well.

To prepare:
Slice the onion and sauté in oil. Salt the onions to help them carmelize, and add a little sugar if you like. Cook the onions down and add a little wine or vegetable stock if the pan gets too dry. Add the squash and cook for 5-10 minutes. If you are adding potato, you will want to add it a little before the squash. Add the apple next. Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a separate pan until fully browned and crisp.

When the squash and potato are nearly cooked, add the eggplant, and cook until eggplant is tender. Chop the bacon and the sauerkraut and toss in. Heat thoroughly and remove from heat. While still warm, grate your favorite fresh cheese over the pan.

Enjoy with a glass of Dono dal Cielo Sauvignon Blanc, James David Muscat Blanc, a Bavarian/German inspired style from Brew it Up!, the Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen, or some Spaten!

PS: If you are in the Cincinnati or Dayton area, the Waynesville Sauerkraut Festival is today until 6pm! I sure do miss that festival... Get your sauerkraut donuts and goose clothing while they last!

No comments: