Monday, January 17, 2011

Applause for Pause

It was a great turnout for Pause Lounge's Grand Opening last Friday evening. When I arrived at 6:30, it the restaurant was already quite full, especially the area lining the bar. It is quite exciting to check out the latest place, isn't it? 

I was seated and given a complimentary glass of sparkling wine while I waited for my guest to arrive. I looked over the menus (both of them). One was a chef's tasting menu ($50 with an optional wine pairing) It seemed to be a great deal of food--and more than I could handle, so I focused on the other menu so I could order plates ala carte. 


To begin the meal, we were treated to an amuse bouche of mushroom spread with truffle cream. A nice surprise. The truffle flavor was present, yet restrained enough to not overwhelm the mushrooms. It was a very flavorful beginning.



The first thing I ordered was the hummus plate. It was a chunkier style hummus served in a quenelle shape, surrounded by grilled bread and a beautiful "rose" of grilled red and yellow peppers.



Next came the truffle fries, french fries with little nuggets of truffle mixed in them. The fries come with a side of pepper aioli... a simple, but good aioli flavored with black pepper.





Here is a shot from where I was sitting. I have to say, I would choose to sit at the bar next time, because it seems to be that is where all the fun is taking place!! I just love to watch people cook great food. Another great place to do this is The Chef's Table.




Here's the salad I had, comprised of endive lettuce, watercress, blue cheese, apple, walnuts, and I ordered the herb vinaigrette on the side.



The handkerchief pasta is shaped exactly like it sounds. A little "clothlike' pile of housemade pasta enrobing a mushroom filling with goat cheese and a mushroom cream sauce.



I was quite happy to learn that Pause offers a cheese plate for dessert. I am quite the fan of cheese and usually order a cheese plate wherever I go if it is on the menu. I think maybe I am part mouse! The cheese plate at Pause comes with your choice of 2 (or 3, if you want) cheeses, a pot of quince paste (if you have never had this, it is sweet and jam-like), and some grilled bread. I ordered a brie and some bleu cheese (my fave!!) and a glass of côtes du rhone (one my favorite French wines) to close out my meal.


Thank you to the management and staff for a lovely opening night and great service. 

Pause Lounge is located at 1465 Eureka Road, near Paul Martin's American Bistro. You can follow them on twitter here and "like" them on Facebook here.

Pause has been open since the beginning of January, offering post-work libations to the thirsty Roseville crowd. To peek at a sample menu, click here. Their happy hour is 3pm-6pm and 10pm-close. Specials include flatbreads for $4, and hand-crafted cocktails, beer, and wine for $4-$6. Pause also offers brunch 10am-2pm on Sundays. 

No comments: