Thursday, December 01, 2011

Napa Valley Destination: The Meritage Resort and Spa and Siena Restaurant

We were in a great mood after our visit to Domaine Carneros (I am in a great mood right NOW just thinking and writing about it), and according to the itinerary I had carefully planned out a few weeks earlier, it was time to check into our first of two hotels during the trip, The Meritage Resort and Spa.

As I walked in, I was welcomed by a grand fireplace and then by the attendant at the front desk. 


The lobby is majestic with gorgeous interior design, and the colors are reflective 
of the Napa Valley region at harvest time.


The elegant guestrooms feature oversized terraces, granite counters, plasma TVs, tile floors, Internet access, and refrigerators. I am a huge fan of refrigerators in my room, because I like to have fresh fruit and vegetables on hand at all times. :)


The Meritage also has an Estate Wine Cave containing Spa Terra (a full service luxury spa), and the Trinitas Tasting Room, where you can sample Trinitas Cellars’ latest releases by the glass or purchase a bottle to enjoy in your room.

There is also a private wedding chapel, Our Lady of the Grapes, onsite at the Meritage. This wood-beamed ceiling chapel is one of the only ones of its kind in Napa Valley.

Our room overlooked the patio had a grand view of the heated pool, fire pit, and bocce ball court.



After we settled into our room, we headed down to Siena Restaurant for 
dinner on the first floor of the resort.




BTW, currently if you check in at Siena on Foursquare,
you'll receive a complimentary glass of Prosecco!


We looked over the wine list and after some deliberation, chose the Trinitas Chardonnay

The BF and I usually share a bottle with dinner, and he almost always tries to accommodate my love for white wine. Especially Chardonnay. What a guy! ;) 

Oh, so a little about the wine. I was a little hesitant to order it and was going to go with something on the list that was tried and true, but our server kindly let me try the Trinitas and won me over. It leans towards the buttery/oaky side of chardonnays, but it has a nice fruit balance. The grapes are from the Carneros region (as explored a little earlier in the day).


Here's the bread presentation, so pretty, but I passed on it of course! ;)


I ordered the Mustard Crusted Ahi Tuna served with Roasted Cauliflower,
Crab and Fava Bean Salad, Green Olive Pesto. I am very particular about keeping my meals completely gluten and grain free, and I was assured there was no flour or corn in the crust. Awesome.

The BF ordered the Seared Sea Bass and Sautéed Rock Shrimp with Mashed Potatoes, Sautéed Broccoli Rabe and Cherry Tomatoes, and a Lobster-Curry-Coconut Sauce.

The manager heard about my fondness for cheese (the only non-Paleo thing I eat) and so this was my dinner/dessert combo. There was a dill variety of cheese in there that was my favorite. The plate also had Humboldt Fog, Point Reyes Blue Cheese and Brie as well as some quince paste and grapes. It was a perfect end to a great meal.


After dinner, we headed to the hot tub for a while, followed by spending some time near the firepit. Here's the picture I took from there, looking back up to the room.


OK Room 225, time to rest up for another day of magic in Napa Valley. :) 

If you are considering a trip to The Meritage, check out their events for New Years Eve and through the holidays. You can find The Meritage Resort and Spa on Facebook here or follow them on twitter here for exclusive deals and contests.

No comments: