Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Just Peachy!





More fun with stone fruit ensues!!!! I just made a peach pie for the bossman and his wifey. Sugar-free because he is diabetic. He asked *ordered* me to make this pie last week and I agreed as long as I could make it with Splenda. We'll see if he throws it back in my face. *sigh*


Here is what I did to achieve peachiness.



First I cut Xs in the peaches. Then I boiled them for one minute.



Then I blanched them in a cold water bath so the skins would slip off with ease. It still was not THAT easy, but I managed.
I sliced them all up and coated them in some lemon juice, and 1 cup of Vanilla-tized Splenda. Earlier in the day, I had scraped down half a vanilla bean (this time I used a bourbon one) and added it in the one cup of Splenda and muddled it around a little bit with the back of a spoon. I also added a little nutmeg, and 1/3 cup flour to thicken the pie.


I sprayed my pie pan with a little nonstick spray and then coated it with cornmeal.


Then I rolled my crust onto the pan.


The crust was made by combining:

2 cups flour

4 Tbs sugar

1/2 tsp salt

8 ounces unsalted butter

...And enough ice water to bind it all together.


This kind of crust can be used immediately. So I did.




I filled the crust with the peach filling, dropped some butter dollops in there, and then topped with another crust (you gotta have a double crust!!), crimped the edges, and baked for 45 mins and 365F. I covered the edges when they outbrowned the top, to avoid burning.





I had extra filling, so I mixed in some blueberries and made these other little pies. I made a crumb topping with flour, butter, triscuits, Splenda, and pie spice.




I present... Bourbon Vanilla Peach Pie! Thanks again to Garrett for the beans. xoxo


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heavenly! Peach and Vanilla - My two favorite flavors! I've gotta try this...